Main Nav Therapy
I recently had an intense meeting with a new client. I told them setting up your main navigation items can be like a therapy session. There's a bunch of things to consider ranging from marketing to information architecture to semantics and wordsmithing.
- Who is your audience?
- What are the top five things people are looking for when they come to your site?
- Who are you and what is your mission or goal?
- How can we organize your content in a coherent well organized fashion that makes sense to your audience.
- Do you have a clear understanding of your organization and its pieces, parts and people?
- What image are you trying to put out there (and do you have any images)?
These are some of the questions we ask and work through with clients when building a site. We enjoy working through this process with motivated clients who are excited about getting it together and communicating clearly online. This process can be difficult, but it can really help a client be more organized and represent themselves cleanly.